We previously discussed the method of rooting the Galaxy S phone for Europe and Asia. But, what about the American versions of the Galaxy S? Well, we’ve got the root instructions for your newly purchased Samsung Captivate right here. With root, you’ll be able to load custom ROMs and get rid of those pesky AT&T app sideloading restrictions. The process is completely safe and has been tested on a plethora of Captivate’s, including my own. With that said, BriefMobile is not responsible for the damage done to one’s phone if something goes wrong. Root at your own risk!
Let’s get started…
What you’ll need:
- If you haven’t already configured your PC to connect with your Captivate:
- Android SDK
- Plug in your Captivate to your computer. When the phone notifies you that the USB has been plugged in, scroll down your notifications bar and click on “USB connected: Select to copy files to/from your computer.”
- Click “Mount”
- Now, you’ll probably see a popup telling you a new USB drive has been inserted, open it up on your computer. In Windows, click “Open folder to view files.”
- Drag Update.zip into the Captivate USB drive (on the top level… do not navigate into folders)
- Turn off the Captivate (Power Off)
- Hold down the Volume Up/Down rocker and the power button until you see some action. Your phone is now booting into recovery.
- Use the volume down button to scroll down to “Reinstall packages”
- Click the power button to select that option
Congratulations! You now have a rooted Samsung Captivate! You should see an application called “Superuser Permissions” installed on your phone. This application will manage which things can have “root” access to your device.
Now that you’re rooted: enable app sideloading.