This guide goes through the process of installing Android 2.3 Gingerbread‘s new keyboard (same one on the Nexus S) on an Android 2.2 Froyo running device. We will use Clockwork Mod Recovery to install the keyboard, which has been provided in a convenient .zip format from developer Peter Alfonso.
When you’re done installing the Gingerbread keyboard, check out the Android 2.3 launcher guide.
- Device must have root priveleges with Superuser
- Android 2.2 Froyo operating system
- Deodexed ROM
- The latest “Voice Search” application from the Android Market
- Make a backup of LatinIME.apk in system/app folder just in case!
- Clockwork Mod Recovery
- Go to the Market and download Rom Manager to install CWM Recovery
Auto-correct feature is brokenFixed in v2
- Vibrate on keypress doesn’t work
- Download the .zip file provided by Peter Alfonso and Fabolous
- Mount your device as USB storage and throw the zip file into the root folder (the main one)
- Boot into Clockwork Mod Recovery
- Once in CWM recovery choose to install zip from sdcard
- Choose to install the .zip you downloaded in Step 1
- Reboot your device! Congratulations!
The new Android 2.3 keyboard is an excellent piece of work. It is nice and compact and doesn’t dominate your screen. The push-hold numbers at the top row are a brilliant, nice feature. And, it looks awfully good with the new darker styling.