Update #2: If you like in the United Kingdom, check out your Android 2.2 on Galaxy S status.
Update: The Android 2.2 rollout was made official by Samsung Mobile earlier today. In a statement, Samsung said, “The Android 2.2 upgrade will be available from the mid of October 2010 in the Nordic region and gradually rolled out to other European markets, Southeast Asia, the Middle East Asia, North America, Africa and rest of the world.”
Sure we’ve talked about those leaked Android 2.2 builds for the Galaxy S I9000 and even for it’s brother– the AT&T Captivate. But until now, Samsung hasn’t released anything official. We are getting word from numerous users that Samsung is in fact now pushing out the official update to Android 2.2 over its update program– Samsung Kies. Only some countries seem to be receiving the update, so you’ll have to wait patiently if you don’t see a chance to perform a firmware upgrade. The update is confirmed in: Norway, Denmark, Finland and Sweden. If you’ve got a Galaxy S I9000, go ahead and grab Samsung Kies, update the program, and check for a firmware upgrade through the software.
Kies will update your Galaxy S I9000 Android phone to Android 2.2 Froyo, build I9000 JPM. The build was recently leaked to the web along with a plethora of previous development-status builds, but now the JPM update is available to all users who wish to upgrade to Froyo.
Android 2.2 JPM for the Galaxy S adds a bunch of new features, some of which we’ve listed below for your convenience:
- Android 2.2 JIT compiler
- Adobe Flash Player 10.1 compatibility
- New Android Market with auto-updating
- Speed improvements
- Pinch-to-zoom homescreen flyover
- Improved default keyboard
- Quick links to “GPS” and “Auto rotation” toggles on notification bar added
- Slightly different graphics and transitions with app drawer and default icon dock
- Colored icons in settings
- GPS Fix
- Colored settings icons
- Media Hub
- Darker menu theme, navy blue color
- Better Exchange support
- Video records in MP4 format
- New Search widget
- New Gmail application
If you’d like to get your Android 2.2 update, simply download Samsung Kies and follow the instructions:
- Install Samsung Kies
- Update your Kies program
- Connect your Galaxy S I9000
- Once the phone is connected and registered, click on the phone with an arrow icon near the bottom right of Samsung Kies.
- Complete the firmware upgrade to JPM