This is not an April Fools joke
With rumored dates for the Nexus S 4G Android 4.0 update on the horizon, the official stock image files have finally surfaced. Thanks to a source, we were leaked the files with exclusive access. Our leak contains the whole shabang: an updated signed_radio.img, boot.img, bootloader.img, recovery.img, system.img, and userdata.img. Ladies and gentlemen, this is the full official IMM76D ICS ROM coming to the Nexus S 4G OTA very soon.
An official release date for ICS has yet to be announced for the Nexus S 4G. But, its sibling, the GSM Nexus S, received its update two days ago. The last still officially supported Nexus device to not receive an update to Android 4.0 is Sprint’s Nexus S 4G. Of course, this is due to the WiMax support needed in the update. But there’s no need to wait any longer. The guide to install the full update is below.
Warning: This will wipe your data entirely. BriefMobile is not liable for your actions. This has been fully tested and is working.
- Download and unzip IMM76Drelease-keys.zip: Mirror 1 | Mirror 2
- Install the NS4G drivers
- Download and extract Odin3_v1.87.zip
- Open “Odin3_v1.87.exe”
- Power off the Nexus S 4G
- Put the Nexus S 4G into “Download Mode” by holding both Volume Up+Down then simply press the Power Button
- Connect the Nexus S 4G to your computer. Ensure Odin recognizes it. You should see “0:[COM#]” fill in the first box.
- Click “BOOTLOADER” and select “SPH-D720_IMM76D_KE1_BOOTLOAD_signed.tar”
- Click “PDA” and select “SPH-D720_IMM76D_PDA_signed.tar”
- Click “PHONE” and select “SPH-D720_IMM76D_LC1_Modem_signed.tar”
- (Optional) To lock the bootloader, check the box next to “Flash Lock” in Odin
- Click “Start”
- After it is finished, the NS4G will reboot and it will be running Android 4.0.4 IMM76D. Congratulations!
So after you finish updating your devices, let us know how is it? Is it as good as anticipated? Any noticeable bugs looming in the update? Was it really worth the wait?
Update: This build was made official by Sprint. So if you installed this build onto your Nexus S 4G, you will be eligible to install all future OTA updates.